General Passport Requirements
- Photo must be clear and in color, reproduce skin tones accurately, and properly exposed with no shadows
- Background must be uniform, plan and white or off-white, and free of shadows
- Photo must be sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Photo must be taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Guest must have a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Photo must be taken in clothing that the guest normally wears on a daily basis:
- Uniforms, clothing that looks like a uniform, and camouflage attire should not be worn in photos except in the case of religious attire that is worn daily.
- The guest may only wear a hat or head covering if they wear it daily for religious purposes. Their full face must be visible and your head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in the photo.
- If the guest normally wears prescription glasses, a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for the photo. Glare on glasses is not acceptable in the photo.
- Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless the guest needs them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required).
- No other person may be in the photo with a child; the child must be facing the camera with his/her eyes open (note: it is acceptable if the infants eyes, particularly a newborns, are not, or are not entirely open)
Please refer to the US Government passport site for further details: Official Government Passport Photo Requirements